UDL: Representation

People learn in different ways and perceive information in different ways. There are many variations in learner’s sensory processing, learning disabilities/abilities, language, and culture. Because of this, it requires different ways of approaching/representing the content. We can’t, as teachers, simply use printed text to teach information. “In short, there is not one mean of representation that will be optimal for all learners; providing options for representation is essential” (1). 
Representation can be effectively integrated into my teaching by always providing multiple means of representation. Instead of simply having a textbook for students, I can provide electronic information, pictures, games, and other forms of information to better reach all of my students. This will help reach different students in different ways. My goal in regard to this topic is to simply provide multiple means of representation. I want to help all of my students—not just a few. I want my students to feel empowered with the information that is presented and not confused. If students can all feel comfortable with the content and understand it, then there will be much more success rather than failure in my classroom. 




1. CAST (2011). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.0. Wakefield, MA: Author. 

Comments

Popular Posts