Online Teaching

Online learning is becoming more and more prevalent in our world today. This, in turn, is making online learning more and more important in our educational systems. A 2014 study reported: “The proportion of chief academic leaders reporting online learning is critical to their long-term strategy reached a new high of 70.8 percent. At the same time, only 28 percent of academic leaders say that their faculty accepts the ‘value and legitimacy of online education.” (1) According to a 2009 meta study from the Department of Education: “Students who took all or part of their class online performed better, on average, than those taking the same course through traditional face-to-face instruction.” (1)
After taking an online course last semester, I have come to realize that online learning is very beneficial and convenient. Although I value face-to-face instruction and think it’s important to be in a classroom, I think it would be very valuable for learners to have some portions of their class online. I think online learning will keep my students attention and allow them to more fully understand the course objectives I teach in the classroom. 
As a future teacher, I plan on using online learning in some way but do not plan on limiting instruction to just online learning. Part of why I want to become a teacher is to teach students face-to-face and be in front of a classroom. I hope to use some forms of online learning but having over 50 percent of the courses I teach be in the classroom. I think that communication and questions are better dealt with in person rather than via email/online. I want my students to be able to expand their knowledge with online learning. I hope my students can learn a lot in my classroom and continue to learn more online. 






  1. Littlefield, Jamie. "What Does Research Say About Online Learning?" ThoughtCo, Mar. 27, 2017, thoughtco.com/what-research-says-about-online-learning-1098012.

Comments

Popular Posts