STEM Integration and Coding




STEM has helped students apply their learning to real life situations and real world scenarios. Although STEM by itself is simply a tool in helping with the application of learning practices, it has been proven by many generations of school graduates that learning without real life/world application is ineffective. For example, if a teacher simply lectures the entire class period, student’s brains will only retain about 5% of what is being said. However, with the implementation of STEM, students are able to retain up to 80% of the information shared(1). 
STEM is geared towards sciences and math, but can also be implemented in the areas of language arts and social studies. The use of computer programs, videos, robotics, and other new technologies has allowed certain subjects to be more attainable and comprehensible because such things used to only be read about in books. As a history education major, I have heard too often, from other students, how boring history is. Although I disagree with history being boring, I believe STEM learning can greatly benefit the areas which many students find boring. 
I hope to apply as much STEM based learning in my classroom as is possible. I plan on using as many visual aids and technological resources as possible to help demonstrate ideas in a more interesting way. It will be important to not simply use and read from books in my classroom. Stem will be an exciting way for my students to learn and will open up many more possibilities and interests in my students’ minds. 

[1] http://jackmalcolm.com/2012/08/how-much-of-your-presentation-will-they-remember/


Comments

Popular Posts